Home > links > Seismological links
Last update: December 05, 2012
Seismological Institutes -
European-Mediterranean Observatories -
Geoscience Institutes -
Professional organisations -
Seismological data -
Related Science Organisations -
Electronic Publications -
Relevant Geo(physical) data -
Please help us and the community to keep this information up-to-date. |
In case a link is broken or if important links are missing, please let us know.
Seismological institutes and observatories
- Asia, ASEAN Earthquake Information Center, Jakpus, Indonesia.
- Austria, Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organisation, Preparatory Commission (CTBTO PrepCom), Vienna.
- France, European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre (EMSC / CSEM) European-Mediterranean centre for parameter data.
- Japan, Earthquake Research Institute Tokyo.
- Japan, NIED. National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention.
- Russia, Synapse Science Center . Moscow IRIS Data Analysis Center (MDC) at the Academy of Sciences of the USSR.
- South America, Ceresis. Centro Regional de Sismologia pare America del Sud. (in spannish)
- UK, International Seismological Centre (ISC) Final collection, analysis and publication of standard earthquake information from all over the world.
- USA, IRIS Consortium. The Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology Seismological research, Education, Earthquake Hazard Mitigation, Verification of a Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty
- USA, NEIC. National Earthquake Information Center of the U.S. Geological Survey.
- USA, CTBT R&D. US Department of Energy. Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) Research & Development Program. IMS, Seismology, Radionuclide, Hydroacoustics, Infrasound, OSI, SPace-based, ADP.
- USA, Prototype International Data Centre (IDC). Seismic, Seismicity, Earthquakes, Nuclear, Nuclear testban treaty, Geophysics, Geology, Map earthquake
European institutes (not included in seismosurf or observatory list)
- Geophysical Institute, Stuttgart, Germany.
- Israel National Data Center, Israel.
- University of Zaragoza, Seismology Group, Spain.
- Department of Geophysics, Faculty of Mines, Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey.
- University of Leeds, Geophysics, Leeds, UK.
Asian institutes (not included in seismosurf)
Geoscience institutes - web-addresses
- Center for Computational Infrastructure in Geodynamics (CCIG).
CCIG is a community organization in the making which will develop and maintain computational infrastructure for geodynamic modeling.
- Cooperative Institute for Deep Earth Research (CIDER)
- Earthscope, USA.
A USA multifaceted initiative to investigate the structure and evolution of the North American continent and the physical processes controlling earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.
- ESC-SESAME Unified Seismic Hazard model for the European Mediterranean region.
- EUROPROBE, A Lithosperic Dynamics programme.
- FREESIA , Japan
Fundamental Research on Earthquakes and Earth'S Interior Anomalies.
- GSHAP, Global Seismic Hazard Assessment Program.
- IDNDR, International Decade for Natural Disaster Reduction.
- ILP, International Lithosphere Program
- MIDAS, Central America Middle America Seismograph Consortium.
- Ocean Hemisphere network Project, Japan
Former POSEIDON. Earthquake Research Institute, University of Tokyo.
- The PLATES Project, Research into plate tectonics and geological reconstruction
- The Reference Earth Model (REM)
- Scattering and heterogeneity in the Earth
Observational and theoretical studies of the medium heterogeneity and wave propagation and scattering in heterogeneous media. Organiser: Haruo Sato
- SCEC Community Modeling Environment (CME)
The Southern California Earthquake Center (SCEC) are developing a geophysics and IT collaboratory that will perform seismic hazard analysis and geophysical modeling.
- The ESC “Seismic microzonation” working group (SeMWG) has established a website in order to exchange information and knowledge on seismic
microzonation in Europe.
- Study of the Earth's Interior (SEDI group) Multidisciplinary group within the IUGG.
- Seismic wave Propagation and Imaging in Complex media (SPICE): a European network
A Marie Curie Research Training Network in the 6th Framework Programmme of the EC. Its focus is research and training in computational seismology.
- SW3D, Seismic Waves in Complex 3-D Structures. Project head Vlastislav Cerveny
- Transfrontier, Rapid Transfrontier Seismic Data Exchange Network. (Transfrontier Group)
Researching, recovering, restoring and re-establishing of the historical heritage of scientific earthquake observation in Italy.
Related Science Organisations
- Geoscience Journals
Comprehensive list of Journals, searchable publisher databases, newsletters and their respective links. Australian site
- BSSA Electronic version For SSA members only.
- Seismological Research Letters
Some parts of the publications are publicly available, a.o. Opinion, the Electronic Seismologist and EduQuakes.
- Natural Hazard and Earth Systems EGS journal on-line available.
- Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics discussion EGS fully Electronic Journal
- Preprint Archive at the International Centre for Theoretical Physics. Mostly physics.
- Effective Scientific Electronic Publishing
About (La)TeX and PDF mainly. Author: Markus Gänther Kuhn, Cambridge, UK.
- LaTeX to PDF
Using LaTeX to create Quality PDF Documents for the World Wide Web. Author: D.P.Story, Akron, Ohio.
- Effective Scientific Electronic Publishing by Markus G. Kuhn, Cambridge University. Practical guidelines fo writing a scientific paper in LaTeX and Electronic Publishing.
- Reproducable electronic documents
Overvieuw and suggestions on filing scientific computational research. Authors: Matt Schwab and Jon Claerbout
- Free issue of Studia Geophysica et Geodaetica (January 2004, vol 48, no 1)
Geo(physical) data relevant to seismology
- Physical Reference Data
The US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Reference on Constants, Units and Uncertainties.
- Modelling the Earth's rotation IERS conventions
- International Earth Rotation Service
Provides a.o. Earth orientation parameters for: Terrestrial navigation/positioning, Geophysical research. Specificly relevant it identifies if leap seconds will be introduced and are therefore important in maintaining the seismological recording timing units correct.
- Physical Reference Data
Physics Laboratory of the National Institute of Standards and Technology. Physical constants, Units and measurement Uncertainties, Nuclear physics data, etc.
- Thermodynamic Data and Property Calculation Sites
Thermodynamics research Laboratory, University of Illinois.
The Consortium of Organisations for Strong-Motion Observation Systems. US national co-ordinating organisation.
- Strong motion Data
Overview of available acceleration data on the internet. Maintained by David Wald at USGS.
- European Strong-motion Database EC-project to put the Imperial College Acceleration data database on the web.
- The Euro_Mediterranean Intensity Database (EMID)
Publicly available standardized intensity data
- International GPS Service for Geodynamics
GPS data and data products on line in near real time. Sponsored by NASA and managed by Jet Propulsion Lab in the US.
- National Spatial Data Infrastructure
Geospatial Data Clearinghouse Entry Points. Find information about geospatial data available in the US.
- Global Geodynamic Project
Information System and Data Center. Data base for GGP superconducting gravimeter data.
- Geophysical Data from the Solid Earth
NOAA and World-data center A, USA. Topography, Geomagnetism, Gravity, Heatflow and Environmental and Natural Hazards.
- World Data Center-C2 Geomagnetism, Geomagnetic Data Services, Kyoto, Japan.
- World stress map
Data base on contemporary tectonic stress in the Earth's crust. Description of, access to, and retrieval of the data.
- JPL Imaging Radar Radar images (SAR) can be obtained for scientific research on request. Not free of charge.
- EROS Data Center
U.S. Geological Survey Earth Resources Observation Systems Data Center. Satelite data archive, US National and World Data Center.
- 30 sec grid topography in binary grid appropriate for GMT.
- Eurimage Earth Science data distributor - EiNet on-line browser. Commercial satelite picture distributor.
Middle East and North Africa