Home > links > educational links
Last update: May 11, 2009
Lecture notes -
Amateur Seismology -
School Seismology -
Public information -
Lecture notes and books (academic level)
(Advanced) amateur seismology
- Public Seismic Network Redwood City, CA, USA.
For the advance amateur seismologist, with a.o. instructions of how to build your own seismograph system, recording system, available software to view professional seismograms, etc. Initiative: Larry Cochrane.
Includes links to other amateur seismology networks.
- Friuli Experimental Seismic Network, Italy. A private network created by amateur seismologists in Italy. Contact: Giovanni Rotta.
- Italian Experimental Seismic Array, Italy. Network of (advanced) amateur seismic stations in Italy. Contact: Francesco Nucera.
- Amateur seismology web page Site with a number of relevant links for amateur seismology. Maintained by Mauro Mariotti.
- New Zealand Public Seismic Network maintained by Dave Nelson, map of the PSN stations and links to amateur seismologists and their activities.
- Amateur Seismic Centre The Amateur Seismic Centre (ASC) is dedicated to spreading knowledge and awareness of earthquakes, in South Asia, primarily in India, using the Internet.
Based in Pune (Maharashtra), India, we monitor seismic activity in the region on an amateur basis.
- France, SISMOS à l'école, (41 active stations, 2009).
- Ireland, Seismology in Schools (Seismeolaíocht sa Scoil), (43 active stations, 2009)
- Germany, Eduseis in Germany
- UK, UK School Seismology Program (143 active stations 2009)
- Italy, Eduseis in Italy
- USA, United States Seismographs in Schools program (IRIS) (200 active stations 2009)
- Public education for Earthquake Hazards
by Sarah Nathe, Paula Gori, Marjorie Greene, Elizabeth Lemersal, and Dennis Mileti. General information on what to do and not to do with earthquakes and related subjects.
- Savage earth Online Archive site of the Public Broadcasting Station (PBS) with general information on earthquakes.
- BBC Science Earthquakes Information and basic background information on natural disasters. Recent earthquakes in the News.
- Rapid Earthquake Viewer, a very simple quick interface to current seismic data from the IRIS database
- SSA Seismology Resources
SSA Seismology Resources for Teachers (old site).
Interesting information for educational software. video's, books, etc. Seismological Society of America
- Introducing and Demonstrating
Earthquake Engineering Research in Schools (IDEERS).
Educational site from the Earthquake Engineering Research Centre at
The University of Bristol, UK.
- Verband der Deutsche Schulgeographen (german).
Relevant (school) educational links.
- Virtual Eartquake Interactive Web-based program. Introduces concept of Epicenter, Richter Magnitude, etc.
- EarthView project Columbia University, New York, USA. Educational access to a wide range of contemporary information on the earth sciences.
- EqIIS Earthquake Image Information System
Library of slides/photographs on earthquake related phenomena. Berkeley, California. US.
- General Earthquake information from the USGS: handouts.
Elementary earthquake information, statistics, magnitudes, maps, glossary, plate tectonics, etc. Useful for presentations, etc.
- SAGUARO Science And GIS Unlocking Analysis & Research Opportunities (SAGUARO).
Using GIS as a problem solving and inquiry tool in the Earth Sciences.
Different modules on different aspects of Earth Sciences.